Vegan Chicken Korma
This recipe is for the home chef maestros who want to go that extra mile, and create a tasty vegan korma from scratch! If you're in a hurry, then you can always get a curry on demand with our incredible vegan curry selection.
However, if you are cooking up a storm, then this vegan chicken korma is a flavorful and creamy Indian dish that replaces traditional chicken with plant-based protein sources like tofu, tempeh, seitan, or even chickpeas. Here's a recipe for a delicious vegan chicken korma curry extravaganza:
For the Vegan "Chicken":
- 1 cup of tempeh, tofu, seitan, chickpeas, or plant-based alternative (choose your favorite)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- one-quarter of a teaspoon of salt
- Half a teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
For the Korma Sauce:
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, blended into a puree
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup raisins or sultanas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Prepare the Vegan "Chicken":
- If using tofu, tempeh, or seitan, cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garam masala, turmeric, salt, and pepper to the oil, and stir for a minute.
- Add the tofu, tempeh, seitan, or chickpeas to the pan and cook until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Prepare the Korma Sauce:
- In the same pan, add another tablespoon of oil if needed.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent and slightly golden brown.
- Stir in the minced garlic and ginger, and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add the blended tomatoes, coconut milk, and almond or cashew milk. Stir well and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- While the sauce simmers, drain the soaked cashews and blend them with a little water to make a smooth paste.
- Add the cashew paste to the sauce and stir to combine. This will make the sauce rich and creamy.
- Add the raisins or sultanas and let the sauce simmer for about 10-15 minutes until it thickens and the flavors meld together.
- Combine the Vegan "Chicken" and Sauce:
- Add the cooked vegan "chicken" to the korma sauce and stir gently to coat the "chicken" pieces with the sauce.
- Let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld and the "chicken" to absorb some of the sauce.
- Serve your vegan chicken korma over steamed rice or with naan bread.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves for a burst of freshness and colour.
Enjoy your homemade vegan chicken korma! It's a rich, creamy, and flavourful dish that's perfect for any occasion, and sure to fool even the meatiest meat lover of the bunch!