How to make a vegan tuna melt
Who doesn't miss a good ol' traditional tuna melt! For years vegans have suffered without, but now those days are long, long gone. We can get our hands on all sorts now a days, and lucky for all of us, a vegan tuna melt is one of them.
You can also grab some vegan cheese as well!
This recipe is both delicious and cruelty-free.
For the Vegan "Tuna" Salad:
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Half a cup of vegan mayonnaise (this is a saucy version)
- A quarter cup of celery, chopped finely
- Half a red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 squirt of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Vegan Tuna Melt:
- 4 slices of vegan bread, we prefer ciabatta or panini bread
- 1 cup of vegan shredded cheese
- A quater cup of vegan butter or margarine
- 1 sliced tomato
- Half a shredded lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 Avocado
- Prepare the Vegan "Tuna" Salad:
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and mash them with a fork or potato masher. You want them to be partially mashed, but some texture should remain.
- Add the vegan mayonnaise, chopped celery, red onion, dill pickle relish, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice to the mashed chickpeas.
- Mix everything together until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the Vegan Tuna Melts:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread a thin layer of vegan butter on one side of each bread slice. This will be the outside of your sandwich.
- Place two slices of bread, buttered side down, on a baking sheet or oven-safe tray.
- Add the Vegan "Tuna" Salad:
- Divide the prepared vegan "tuna" salad evenly between the two slices of bread on the baking sheet, spreading it out to cover the bread.
- Add Vegan Cheese:
- Sprinkle half of the vegan shredded cheese onto the "tuna" salad on each slice of bread.
- Top and Grill:
- Place the other two slices of bread, buttered side up, on top of the "tuna" salad and cheese to create sandwiches.
- Bake the sandwiches in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the vegan tuna melts from the oven and let them cool for a minute.
- Optionally, add your favourite toppings like tomato slices, lettuce, or avocado.
- Slice the sandwiches in half and serve immediately.